[foaf-protocols] hcards/vcards with FOAF+SSL (today)

Peter Williams home_pw at msn.com
Sat Jan 21 21:59:10 EST 2012

Try http://yorkporc2.blotspot.com/ and navigate to my  lead (identity) page. Using IE (and hopefully other browsers), there may appear a green icon, top left.  Click it (if it appears).

Becuase I left some untied ends to the webid work I was doing earlier, I played some more and in http://wp.me/p1fcz8-217 which note how I built up some working pilots using vcards, certs, webid URIs, and foaf agents based on Kingley Idehen's sparql protocol servers, acting as surrogate foaf agents tuned to provide "webid validation" 'support services'.

The demo gets from a simple blogspot page (as simple as it gets data source built usign a common blog post editor with hcard/hevent plugins, and hosted on a site with little in the way of "foaf agent" capabilities) through crawling such into the linked data cloud, to then using common or garden office tools like Microsoft Office 365 cloud based Outlook MUA. It does this whil also supporting user authentication via webid URIs and https client cert validation - based on the ideas of the FOAF+SSL project.

This seems QUITE VIABLE! And, even useful. This is not research-phase tooling. This feels almost "product-ready". it doesnt even stress the i nfrastructure (given even I could do it, with my piddling set of web skills)

Now what I dont understand is whether any of this "counts" as the kinds of "foaf protocols" folks intended. I think it does, even though its not "pure". Henry Story directed me away from micro-formats (mostly so one gets a more classical foundation in semantic web technologies, before bothering with "optmizations" like hcard markup). However, life seems to be coming full circle, bringing me back those very tools and techniques .

They seem VERY PRACTICAL...and "product pending". When acting as the foundation then for the https and webid like methods for site login, it all seems "Quite viable" (now) and focussed. It seems to use ALL The main principles of the semantic web, leverages linked data cloyud to make it all "truly work," and even uses the latest incarnation of office tools (Outlook/Exchanged etd in the cloud, delivered via the browser). what more does one want!... to launch a first set of products!