[foaf-dev] About sioc:UserAccount (Was: Two weeks of SIOC wishes)

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Wed May 20 13:24:49 CEST 2009

+cc: foaf-dev

On 20/5/09 13:13, Uldis Bojars wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Dan Brickley<danbri at danbri.org>  wrote:
>> On 20/5/09 11:05, Breslin, John wrote:
>>> An alternative is to recommend usage of foaf:OnlineAccount as Simon hinted...
>
> Is that a better alternative, though?
>
> For one thing it won't solve the problem that we were discussing in
> this thread - the change still impacts  applications working with
> SIOC.
>
>> If any clarifications/changes to definition of foaf:OnlineAccount would
>> help here, let me know.
>
> Regardless of changes to sioc:User, it would be good to "sync" its
> definition with foaf:OnlineAccount. Currently sioc:User subclasses it
> but does not really use properties that are associated with
> foaf:OnlineAccount.
>
> Good to know that the definition of foaf:OnlineAccount can be adjusted
> if necessary.

For me lately, I think the core idea of an OnlineAccount is that it is
something that exemplifies shared control: between some user and some
service provider. This has several aspects. Data sourced from the
account is sometimes from the user, sometimes from the service provider.
So I have been looking at ways of indicating which parts have been
supplied or checked by the provider (eg. email verified, openid
verified, or stuff like trust rankings). Also typically there are ways
in which a user can demonstrate control over some account. Openid is the
obvious one here, but email verification codes, text messages etc are
also used. Finally, I am thinking that the machinery familiar from vcard
where we have "home" "work" etc flags for phone numbers, fax etc should
be applicable to anything that is an OnlineAccount. Does this fit with
SIOC perspective? Why can't I say "this is my Work Blog, my Home IM, my
work phone number, my home bookmarks, my work activity stream, etc?