[foaf-dev] New FOAF properties

Keith Alexander k.j.w.alexander at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 12:39:34 CEST 2011

Hi,

> foaf:interest and foaf:topic_interest - what’s the difference?

if you have a look at the Domain and Range in the documentation -
domain is the class of the subject of the triple using the property;
range is the class of the object.

foaf:interest points to a document "about" the thing the foaf:Agent is
interested in. foaf:topic_interest points directly to the thing
itself. eg:

<me> foaf:interest <page> .
<page> foaf:topic <music> .

can also be written as:

<me> foaf:topic_interest <music> .

(I could be misremembering, but I think the former design was from a
time when there were few identifiers for things, and many for
documents, so it was useful to be able to point to wikipedia articles
etc as a kind of proxy for the topic the page was about)

hth

Keith