[foaf-dev] New FOAF properties

Bob Ferris zazi at smiy.org
Sun Sep 11 14:10:01 CEST 2011

Hi Bruce,

On 9/10/2011 9:28 AM, Bruce Whealton wrote:
> Dan,
> That was very detailed and very helpful. Thanks.
> IMHO, I think we do need something for expressing resume type information.
> It is good to have a foaf:interest but one also likes to express one's
> skills.

Yes, this is exactly the domain you can describe with the help of the
Cognitive Characteristics Ontology [1], i.e., this vocabulary includes
terms to describe cognitive patterns in a short way with the help of
binary relations by utilising sub properties of
cco:cognitive_characteristics [2], e.g., cco:skill [3]. If you like to
describe cognitive characteristics more in detail, you can utilise the
cco:CognitiveCharacteristics concept. Please have a look at the examples
section [5] of the CCO documentation, e.g., the cognitive patterns
example [6].

> I agree with what Bob was saying about CV that the skills,
> experience and etc. should be related to a foaf:Person.  A person has
> certain skills and experience, not the document about them.

Cool! ;)

> I found DOAC - description of a career but that wasn't used too often either
> and was a bit awkward.
> The only other thing I was thinking about on the foaf:interest is that a
> dc:title should be included to provide a readable result for SPARQL queries.

Yep, this is always a good knowledge representation practise (to locally
include a human-readable label of an utilised, external information
resource).

> Many profiles, that I've seen do use the dc:title attribute, though.
> I don't know why CV references FOAF at the bottom of it's description page
> but does not ever use any foaf classes or properties.
>
> I was reading a recent book on SPARQL and the author uses foaf often for an
> address book.  I guess that is a good idea for using foaf.  I thought it
> would be helpful to keep track of all the different places where I have
> accounts, blogs, wikis, etc. etc.

Yep.

Cheers,

Bo