[foaf-dev] Proposal: :bitcoin

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Fri Sep 23 16:00:34 CEST 2011

+Cc: Mike and Rob, from the original foaf:tipjar lunch conversation ~2004 ....

http://blog.foaf-project.org/2004/02/foaftipjar-creative-commons-and-musicbrainz/

On 23 September 2011 05:26, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
> How about a foaf : bitcoin predicate added to the next cut of the vocab
>
> Range could be a string
>
> Bitcoin is fast becoming one largest payment communities on the net.
> You can even buy groceries in new york with bitcoins now!
>
> A simple predicate could allow easy markup in rdfa for example on
> blogs, and robots to perform ecommerce.  It would also work with all
> the derivatives namecoin, solidcoin etc.
>
> We could use the existing account or tipjar instead, but I think
> adding the bitcoin predicate could make things that much easier

Intriguing! I've seen a few pretty harsh critiques (ponzi scheme etc)
but ultimately it's the choice of the users not vocabulary designers
what they do with their lives and money. So if it really has got
substantial traction, then sure, why not?

So to be clear, the idea is to associate some bitcoin crypto
gobbledegook with people/agents, such that the ID makes it possible
for that party to be "paid" via bitcoin?

Care to draft up some text?

Rob, Mike -- any thoughts? Is Bitcoin showing up much in the CC and music scene?

cheers,