[foaf-dev] Proposal: :bitcoin

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 16:34:07 CEST 2011

On 23 September 2011 16:00, Dan Brickley <danbri at danbri.org> wrote:
> +Cc: Mike and Rob, from the original foaf:tipjar lunch conversation ~2004 ....
>
> http://blog.foaf-project.org/2004/02/foaftipjar-creative-commons-and-musicbrainz/
>
> On 23 September 2011 05:26, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How about a foaf : bitcoin predicate added to the next cut of the vocab
>>
>> Range could be a string
>>
>> Bitcoin is fast becoming one largest payment communities on the net.
>> You can even buy groceries in new york with bitcoins now!
>>
>> A simple predicate could allow easy markup in rdfa for example on
>> blogs, and robots to perform ecommerce.  It would also work with all
>> the derivatives namecoin, solidcoin etc.
>>
>> We could use the existing account or tipjar instead, but I think
>> adding the bitcoin predicate could make things that much easier
>
> Intriguing! I've seen a few pretty harsh critiques (ponzi scheme etc)
> but ultimately it's the choice of the users not vocabulary designers
> what they do with their lives and money. So if it really has got
> substantial traction, then sure, why not?
>
> So to be clear, the idea is to associate some bitcoin crypto
> gobbledegook with people/agents, such that the ID makes it possible
> for that party to be "paid" via bitcoin?

That's right.

> Care to draft up some text?

Definitely, just taking to the bitcoin folks now.

Domain I think can be a document or an agent (e.g. donate on this page)

Range we're working out whether to use s string or the bitcoin: URI

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/URI_Scheme

Or do you think there will be issues with IANA in that way?