[foaf-dev] Proposal: :bitcoin

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 16:25:16 CEST 2011

On 26 September 2011 05:52, Mike Linksvayer <ml at creativecommons.org> wrote:
> I think a payment account would be a nice addition. I'd suggest just using
> tipjar, but its range is Document, not OnlineAccount. A property named
> 'bitcoin' could sound anachronistic and/or be overly specific soon.

Agree there's a chance that it could become anachronistic (any project
can) but it has such huge traction now, that at least some part of
bitcoin will be here to stay I think.

It's my intention to work with the bitcoin community to make a bitcoin
ontology.

The advantage of a shorthand property in foaf, is that it makes it
that much easier simple payment system going as a proof of concept.
The string range plays nicely with both real bitcoin addresses and the
test bitcoins which can be used e.g. for creating prototypes.

The many of the other bitcoin derivatives will also have non colliding
addresses, so bitcoin modelled as an address is really a family of
currencies (indeed you could fork a linked data version).  I'm sure at
least a few of them will be around in some time to come, but more
importantly can be used in applications immediately.