[foaf-protocols] first implementation of foaf+ssl for Drupal

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Wed Sep 30 17:40:50 CEST 2009

On 30 Sep 2009, at 17:23, Peter Williams wrote:

> Out of interest:
>
> 1. if the resource authority web client is configured with an https
> proxy
> (when de-referencing an https-form webid), can/should the client
> issue a
> CONNECT to create the (ssl) tunnel between proxy and web server of the
> claimant's foaf file?

Why is this a question for Damien?

I am not sure what the resource authority web client is. I suppose you
mean a browser behind some firewall containing a foaf+ssl enabled
webid, that would have to be set up to use a https proxy.

If so, then that is not a problem for Damien, as he is building a
server application.

On the other hand I don't think we have explored the issues with HTTP
proxies. Perhaps this should be opened up in another thread. I don't
yet understand these issues very clearly.

> Presumably, it's up to the operator of the proxy providing the ssl
> tunnel's
> client endpoint to configure (per subscriber?) which trust anchors are
> valid, decide if server cert _chains_ are handled (or not), decide to
> implement the dns validation checks (or not) on the server EE cert (vs
> socket info).
>
> 2. What rule set was used in the resource server's sparql server to
> walk the
> trust path from the resource server's webid to the claimant's webids?

Damien did not implement this part of the foaf+ssl protocol. Only the
minimal identification piece.

Walking the friend network is not a necessary step. It is made
possible by deploying foaf using the Linked Data pattern. But it would
only be required if the server wished to implement such access control
rules. Many other access control rules are possible.

Also as the php SPARQL implementation for ARC2 only works when
connected to a mysql database currently, and as Damian did not want to
build something with that restriction, he used a simple programmatic
method to walk the rdf graph. So he did not use SPARQL. Hopefully the
arc2 implementations will improve in the near future.

> In 24h, presumably one borrowed some or other existing open source
> rule set
> or library of sparql queries useful for walking the naming graph.
>
> Id foresee a hosted "trust broker" model evolving here, where those
> with
> webids (be they resource authorities or claimants) can access a sparql
> server hosted by a TTP over https (or foaf+ssl!) to access that
> subscriber's
> "profiled" ruleset (i.e. algorithm) for trust chaining.

There is not need for SPARQL servers at present. So I am not sure what
you are speaking about. SPARQL is used as a convenient language to
query the local RDF graph of the remote foaf profile. One could do
remote SPARQL querying, but we have not yet looked at that here, and I
don't think we need to at present, as that would introduce unnecessary
complications.

Henry